Tuesday, June 21, 2005

It is a small world sometimes...and yet so far

It is amazing what can make you feel at home when you're away from home.

I'm in Ottawa, Canada, this week and am just finishing up my first full day here. Business meetings finished early, so I had some time to myself after about 4:15. We'd had a late lunch (nice enouogh, but not really worth writing about) and it looked like it would be raining soon, so I elected to go visit the Basilique-cathedrale Notre-Dame (Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady).

As cathedrals go, it was fairly small, but breathtakingly beautiful. There is a 3m tall statue of the Virgin and Child atop the peak of the roof, flanked by twin steeples. The altar is an impressive 16m structure of 4 levels. The altar itself has 3 arches with polychromed bas-reliefs of the Nativity, Jesus' teaching ministry (highlighting the teaching ministry of the Bishop), and also the Resurrection. The first level of the altarpiece above the altar depicts a large door with columns, and sports two bas-reliefs, one of the Ascension and the other of Christ giving the Keys to St. Peter. The second level of the altarpiece is a Statue of Christ the King on a throne supported by four angels and surrounded by the traditional symbols of the four gospel evangelists; around this statue are statues of Sts. Mary, Joseph, John the Baptist, and Patrick. On the third and highest level of the altarpiece are statues depicting the nine choirs of angels. Surrounding the choir and sanctuary area are 30 large statues depicting the Patriarchs and Prophets, the Apostles and Evangelists (remember that Sts. Mark and Luke were not among the Apostles) with special prominence (appropriately) to Sts. Peter and Paul. There are 2 smaller altars dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and to the Immaculate Conception (which is the Titular of the Cathedral). I could go on and on more, but my words would be inadequate.

I left the cathedral just in time to almost get back to my hotel before the rain.

For dinner, I just ate in the hotel dining room, and I'm glad I did. The restaurant specializes in Italian cuisine, and was mostly empty when I was there (myself and a couple a few tables away being the only diners). I had a grilled blue marlin steak, which in itself isn't Italian but I'd never had blue marlin before so I had to try it. I found the marlin to be very much like swordfish in texture, consistency, and most other physical characteristics, which should not be surprising, but I also found the meat to be much more flavorful than swordfish, which was a pleasant surprise. The preparation was very Italian, however, with a nice risotto and grilled vegetables. I chose a very nice Orvieto Classico (yes, they had an Orvieto) to go with it that married perfectly with the fish. The wine was not quite dry enough to merit being called a Secco and yet not quite fruity enough to be Amabile (and indeed had neither descriptor on the bottle). If I closed my eyes, I could almost picture myself back in Orvieto.

So between a beautiful gothic Victorian-era cathedral and a lovely dinner, I was almost back in one of my two spiritual homes (the other is Wales).

All in all, a good day, full of memories and for which there is no appropriate word in English, although the Welsh hiraeth may come close.