Saturday, February 05, 2005

Wonder if there's any correlation?

So I went to a career fair at my alma mater. Faced the usual problems, plus a new one:
  1. Having to experience different standards of personal hygiene. Why is it that the people with the lowest standards of personal hygiene are also the ones that have the smallest "personal space" distances?
  2. Having foreign students keep talking even after you ask "All positions require a security clearance, or ability to obtain one. Security clearances are only awarded to U. S. citizens. Is there any reason you would not be able to obtain a security clearance?" (I'd feel more sorry for them if it weren't that there is a high correlation between violators of #1 and violators of #2.)
  3. Having to explain the Human Resources "minimum 3.0 GPA" rule that means I can't even talk to a student that may be better qualified than some from other schools that will end up getting not only interviewed but hired. (This one bugs the hell out of me. My alma mater is known for grading low. School policy is to curve to a 2.7, or not curve at all. 3.0 GPA is Dean's List. I understand why this rule exists, but the best schools that we recruit at tend to have lower GPAs, so we're automatically eliminating students that are likely to be better candidates than those that meet the minimum at local schools. Nothing against the Florida schools, but they are not in the same league as some of the other schools we recruit at.)
  4. Having sore feet and tired voice.
  5. Missing watching my alma mater win a basketball game when I could have gotten free tickets to the game because we scheduled our information session the same night as a home game.

I've often wondered if there is any correlation (inverse correlation) between #1 and getting interview invitations. I haven't remembered this question prior to career fairs so we could try keep track of how many whose cologne is "eau de halitose" actually get interviews. I suspect it is a pretty small number.